Building Plans Records

Need copies of plans on your property?

To obtain copies of blueprints from the Building Department you will need:

1. A release letter from the current owner.
2. A copy of the current owner’s grant deed.
3. A release letter from the architect and engineer whose stamp is on the plans. Letters must have engineer/architect’s stamp and signature.

We Can Help. Call 310-592-5566

Things to know…

• Not all properties have plans on file with LADBS. Prior to 1978, no plans are available for single family homes or commercial buildings 3 stories and under. However, both new construction and alteration/improvement plans can be retrieved.

• Not sure who the architect and engineer are? The original signature and seal can be obtained by viewing the plans on the microfilm reels at City Records. All original architect/engineer’s indicated on the plans must provide a release letter on company letterhead. In the case of a deceased architect/engineer, proof must be provided that they are no longer alive to release the plans. An example is an article about their death or verification from the California State Licensing Board.

• Where can I request plans and how long will the request take to complete? Plans can be requested at either of two LADBS locations: Downtown or Van Nuys. The City of LA usually takes anywhere from 7 to 10 business days to complete the request.

• Need help obtaining City of LA records/plans? We provide records research services to obtain not only building permits on a property but also certificates of occupancy, violations and plans among other things. For more information on our records research services or to place and order please call us or email mail@

Call 310-592-5566 or E-mail